How far up do you put boric acid suppositories?
How far your boric acid suppositories can go depends on you. For people who might have had $ex before, the suppository’s path isn’t hindered much. However, for those who haven’t, the issue of friction or discomfort could arise.
Suppositories are dosage form of drugs that are usually inserted into body openings—the rectal or vagιnal opening. In cases where a drug has any of the characteristics below, it is used as suppository;
- A bitter taste
- An unpleasant smell
- Easily broken down by gastrointestinal enzymes.
- Difficulty being absorbed by the stomach and intestines.
Understanding the mode of action of suppositories is very essential if you plan on using it. It has a soft shell that melts easily once it has been exposed to the temperature of the inner body.
The melting of the outer shell then exposes the active ingredient which in turn diffuses into the surroundings blood vessels. For boric acid suppositories, the outer shell is made of gelatin.
What is boric acid suppository used for?
The boric acid suppository is a drug that’s used to treat several vagιnal infections like yeast infections, itching of the vagιna, feeling of burns in the vagιna, or some other kinds of abnormal discharge from the vagιna. Boric acid suppository is mostly used for yeast infections as it has been proven to solve recurring issues.
The suppository is also used to get rid of conditions like bacterial vaginosis where there’s an unhealthy change in the vagιna’s pH. This condition disrupts the normal flora in the vagιna, i.e., certain bacteria strains begin to grow to a number that’s dangerous to the vagιna.
However, before you use a boric acid suppository, you must be certain you’ve noticed any of these symptoms;
- A fishy smell from your vagιna
- Intense itching of your vagιna
- Burning sensation in your vagιna
- Abnormal discharge—one with gray, white or green color. (Normal discharge is meant to be colorless.)
- A burning sensation after peeing.
How to insert a boric acid suppository
Now, let’s see how you can insert a boric acid suppository. Below is an orderly arrangements of the steps you should take;
1. Start by washing your hand with a mild soap. This way, you can get rid of the germs and other microorganisms latched onto your finger. You also wouldn’t want to introduce some other infection into your private part.
2. Rinse your hand with warm water and then, pat it dry.
3. Peel off the suppository from it’s pack.
4. In order to fight against unwanted friction along the vagιnal opening, dip the tip of the boric acid suppository into water or some lubricating fluid.
5. Position your body in an angle that’s friendly for insertion. There are several ways you can position your body for this step. You could place one of your legs on a chair at a right-angled direction or lie with your belly facing up. Then, tilt both of your knees towards your belly.
6. Push up the tip of the suppository into your vagιna until you just begin to feel uncomfortable.
7. To push in the suppository completely, you should press the plunging tip. After this, you can now remove the application tip.
8. Continue to lie down for a while so that the suppository can function effectively.
9. Ensure that you wash your hand immediately after you’re done.
Tips for using boric acid suppositories
Suppositories are great dosage forms, but then, there could be incidences where the active ingredient leaks through the opening. That’s why it is recommended that you do not move immediately after using the drug. Irritation of the vagιnal walls can also be reduced by the use of the right lubricants.
To get the best use of suppositories, ensure that you try out the following tips;
- Set the suppository wrap in a refrigerator before using it. That way, the conical shape can be retained even as you use it.
- Plunge them into your vagιnal opening with the use of the plunging tool.
- Avoid $exual ιntercourse while you’re on this drug.
- Apply the suppository at night, when you’re about to sleep. This way, you wouldn’t have to move about and then, get the active ingredients leaking right out of the opening.
- Ensure that you pee before using your suppository. You wouldn’t want to pass out the active ingredients just after you used it. That would greatly reduce the drug’s effectiveness.
- Choose a particular time to use your suppository each day.
- For serious infections, you should use the suppository once a day. It wouldn’t be nice to contend with irritated vagιnal walls while solving a chronic vagιnal infection. However, for mild ones, you can go for two capsules per day.
- Never should a pregnant woman use boric acid suppository. Young kids and pets should also not swallow the capsules.
- The recommended dose is 600mg per day for about two weeks.
When should you not use boric acid suppositories?
Lastly, there are certain condition that make boric acid suppositories unsuitable for use by a female;
- $exually Transmitted Infections (Gonorrhea, HIV/AIDS)
- Bleeding in the vagιna
- Inflammation in the pelvic region.